Almond and Honey Elephant Ear Cookies
Recipe and photo by Tami Ganeles Weiser
Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes
With nutty almond and sweet honey flavor, these crunchy cookies are perfect for dessert or any time you need a treat.
7 ounces (198g) almond paste, one tube
2 egg yolks
2 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup turbinado sugar (sugar in the raw), divided
2 (14-ounce) packages frozen puff pastry, Dufour brand preferred, defrosted overnight in the refrigerator
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment add the almond paste, egg yolks, sugar, honey and almond extract. Mix on medium speed until light in color, 2 to 3 minutes. Refrigerate while you prepare the puff pastry.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup of turbinado sugar on a flat, cold surface. Unfold one sheet of puff pastry on the turbinado sugar. Using a rolling pin gently roll the puff pastry into the sugar maintaining a rectangle shape.
- With an offset spatula spread half of the almond filling from end to end on the puff pastry, in a thin layer about ¼ thick.
- Roll the long sides of the dough into the center. Place on one of the baking sheets and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate while you repeat with the second piece of puff pastry. Chill dough for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (400°F convection).
- Carefully cut the rolls crosswise in ½-inch slices. Lay the cookies flat on the prepared baking trays, cut side up. Bake until caramelized on top and golden brown on the bottom, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately transfer cookies to cooling racks with a spatula. Cookies are best served the day they are made.