Almond Cake with Rhubarb Compote and Fresh Strawberries
Recipe and photo by Tami Ganeles Weiser
servings (1 cake total)
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour
Tart, astringent rhubarb is brought into balance with wine, sugar, and a long simmer for a refreshing springtime compote. We serve it over a fragrant almond cake for a light and lovely dessert.
6 rhubarb stalks (approximately 680 grams), cut in 1-inch pieces, green stalk and leaves discarded
½ bottle (375 ml) sweet white port, or another sweet wine, red or white
1 cup water
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons (74 grams) sugar
½ vanilla bean, split
1¼ cups (248 grams) sugar
1 cup (85 grams) blanched, slivered almonds
1 cup (120 grams) all-purpose flour, sifted
½ teaspoon salt
8 egg whites
½ cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
18 strawberries (approximately 453 grams), thinly sliced, for garnish
- Combine the rhubarb, wine, water, sugar, and vanilla bean in a nonreactive medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a low.
- Simmer until the rhubarb breaks down, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- The compote will continue to thicken as it cools. (The compote may be prepared up to 1 day in advance. Cover and refrigerate until use.)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Cut a piece of parchment paper into a 10-inch diameter circle, using an inverted 10-inch cake pan as your guide. Spray the cake pan with a nonstick spray and lay the parchment paper in the bottom.
- Pulse the sugar and almonds in a food processor until finely ground. Add the flour and salt and pulse to combine. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Beat the egg whites in a large, clean mixing bowl until they reach soft peaks. Set aside.
- Whisk the oil and vanilla paste in a small bowl. Add to the flour and mix well. Add ⅓ of the egg whites, stirring gently until combined. Fold in half of the remaining egg whites until just combined, then add the remaining egg whites and fold again until just combined. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick comes out clean from the center, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Cool the cake on a rack. Serve with the rhubarb compote and sliced strawberries.
- You can also serve the cake with whipped cream, ice cream, coconut cream, or a nice, tart yogurt (Greek, soy, or otherwise).