Apple Butter and Turkey Sausage Rolls
Recipe and photo by Tami Ganeles Weiser
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 35 minutes
This is a quick and easy appetizer that will keep the masses staved off while you finish preparing the Thanksgiving feast. It’s also a perfect recipe for a Super Bowl party.
½ pound nondairy puff pastry, defrosted
3 tablespoons unbleached, all-purpose flour
6 kosher turkey sausages
¼ cup apple butter
1 large egg
1 tablespoon water
- Preheat the oven to 385°F or according to the puff pastry manufacturer’s directions. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and a shpritz of nonstick vegetable oil spray.
- Sprinkle the flour on a work surface. Place the puff pastry onto it and turn over to make sure both sides have a light dusting. Brush off any excess flour. Roll out the dough to approximately 10 by 12 inches and ¼-inch thick, moving it a few times to prevent it sticking to the work surface. Cut the puff pastry into thirds, lengthwise. Brush the apple butter over puff pastry.
- Cut the turkey sausages in half lengthwise. Place half of a sausage, flat side down, on the long end of one of the puff pastry rectangles. Pick up the edge of the puff pastry nearest the turkey sausage and roll it up just enough to cover the sausage (about half of the puff pastry will be used). Using a sharp knife, cut the remaining puff pastry away from the sausage roll. Place the sausage roll on the prepared baking sheet. Roll another sausage half in the remaining cut piece of puff pastry and place on the baking sheet. Repeat this process with the remaining puff pastry rectangles and sausages to make 12 rolls.
- Whisk the egg and water in a small bowl, and with a pastry brush, brush the tops of the rolls.
- Bake according to puff pastry manufacturer’s instructions, about 30 to 35 minutes. Serve immediately.