Applesauce and Toasted Almond Muffins
Recipe and photo by Tami Ganeles Weiser
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 18 minutes
Hearty and sweet, these apple muffins are perfect for a fall breakfast or just for a snack.
1¾ cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour mix, Better Batter preferred
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon baking soda
⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup (240 grams) dark brown sugar
½ cup (1 stick or 113 grams) non-hydrogenated margarine
1 cup applesauce
½ cup salted almond butter
2 teaspoons pure almond extract
1 teaspoon molasses
1 teaspoon vanilla paste
2 large eggs
½ cup dried tart cherries or raisins, optional
½ cup slivered or thinly sliced, blanched almonds
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray muffin pans with non-stick spray.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and nutmeg onto a sheet of parchment paper or into another mixing bowl.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, or in a bowl with a hand mixer, cream the brown sugar and margarine, about 3 minutes, scraping down the sides and from the bottom. Add the applesauce, almond butter, almond extract, molasses, and vanilla paste and mix until completely combined.
- Add the eggs to the applesauce mixture, one at a time, mixing each until combined.
- Add the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Stir in the cherries.
- Scoop ½ cup of the mixture into each muffin cup and top with a few almonds.
- Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, 16 to 18 minutes.