Butternut Squash Quinoa Pilaf
Recipe contributed by Sarah Green; photo by Tami Ganeles Weiser
servings (3 cups total)
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes
Butternut squash and thyme are available all year round, making this an easy, hearty, and healthy side dish that also happens to offer complete protein.
4 cups (¾-inch) cubed butternut squash
3 sprigs fresh thyme
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 cups Roasted Vegetable Stock
2 teaspoons unsalted butter, plus 1 tablespoon, divided
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 medium shallot, minced (about 3 tablespoons)
1½ cups mixed quinoa (we used ½ cup each of red, white, and black)
¾ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Toss the squash with the thyme, olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread on the prepared baking sheet. Roast for 25 minutes, until softened.
- Heat the stock in a medium saucepan set over medium-low heat until warm.
- In another medium saucepan, heat the 2 teaspoons butter and the olive oil. Add the garlic and shallot and sauté for about 2 minutes, until softened and fragrant. Add the quinoa , stir to coat, and cook for about 2 minutes, until lightly toasted.
- Ladle 1 cup of the warm stock into the quinoa mixture, stirring to incorporate. As the liquid is absorbed, add more stock, ½ cup at a time, stirring occasionally to make sure it does not stick to the bottom.
- Once the stock is absorbed, add the cheese, and mix to combine, and then mix in the remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Add the roasted squash, toss gently to incorporate, and serve immediately.