Carrot Honey Cake with Pistachios
Recipe and photo by Tami Ganeles Weiser
Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 55 minutes
This cake combines the best of two favorites: honey cake and carrot cake, perfumed with cinnamon, cardamom, ginger and orange zest. The pistachios add a nice crunch, but if someone at your table is allergic, the cake will be perfectly fine without them.
2 cups (270 grams) unbleached, all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons (8 grams) baking powder
1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking soda
1 teaspoon (2 grams) ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon (2 grams) ground cardamom
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon kosher salt
4 large eggs
1 cup (160 grams) dark brown sugar
½ cup (164 grams) mild honey
½ cup mild olive oil
2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
½ teaspoon orange zest
4½ medium carrots, grated (about 1½ cups)
¾ cup chopped toasted pistachios (see Kitchen Tip)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-by-9-inch cake pan with nonstick vegetable oil spray and line it with a sheet parchment that hangs over two opposite ends by 2 inches. This will help you get the cake out of the pan once it is baked.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger and salt.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, blend the eggs, brown sugar, honey, olive oil, vanilla paste and orange zest until fully combined and bubbly.
- Add the flour mixture and mix just to combine. Stir in the carrots and pistachios.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Lift the cake out of the pan with the parchment and let cool.
- You can find toasted or roasted nuts in most supermarkets, but if you can’t, or if you prefer to roast your own, try The Weiser Kitchen’s Roasted Nuts recipe.