Recipe and photo by Tami Ganeles Weiser
Prep Time: 1 hour 20 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes
A decadent chocolate indulgence that is delicious just on it's own or added to a dessert parfait.
2 cups (450 grams) heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar, divided
6 large (108 grams) egg yolks
1 ½ tablespoons (22 grams) cornstarch
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
6 ounces (1 cup) semisweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons (28 grams) unsalted butter
Whipped cream (optional)
- In a 4-quart sauce pan over medium heat whisk the heavy cream, ¼ cup sugar and vanilla bean paste to combine and bring to a simmer. Place the egg yolks, ¼ cup sugar, cornstarch, and cocoa powder in a large heatproof bowl and whisk to incorporate.
- Add the chocolate chips to the cream and cook over medium heat until the chocolate has completely melted, whisking frequently to prevent scorching on the bottom. As soon as the chocolate has melted, slowly pour into the egg yolks, whisking constantly to incorporate and prevent the egg yolks from scrambling. Pour the custard back into the pot. Cook over medium heat until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes, whisking constantly.
- Remove pan from the heat and gently stir in the butter. Place the pudding in a large glass bowl or 8 ramekins and chill for at least 1 hour or overnight. Serve cold with freshly whipped cream. Pudding will keep for up to to 4 days stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- This chocolate pudding works well as a pie filling, pastry filling, and can even be turned into a chocolate mousse by folding in 1 cup of freshly whipped cream.
- Make it in advance for our delicious Chocolate Banana and Pretzel Parfait recipe.