Cinnamon Roll Cookies
Recipe and photo by Tami Ganeles Weiser
Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes
While the cookie dough is loosely adapted from The Kitchn’s best cut-out sugar cookies, this recipe has veered off onto a distinctly different cinnamon-swirled tangent. It’s a crunchy surprise with a cup of coffee and equally welcome as a lunch box treat.
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or extract
1 large egg
2 teaspoons Greek yogurt or sour cream
3 cups all purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
1½ cups brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon, or more to taste
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 cup confectioner’s sugar
3 to 4 teaspoons milk
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter, sugar, cream cheese, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add the egg and yogurt and mix until completely incorporated.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, a third at a time, and mix until fully incorporated.
- Split the dough into two equal rectangles and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Before rolling the dough, remove it from the fridge while preparing the filling. Combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, and cardamom in a small mixing bowl. Mix the softened butter with a fork or your hands into the sugar until the mixture resembles wet sand. Set aside.
- Liberally dust a large sheet of parchment paper with flour. Unwrap one of the dough halves and place on the parchment. Turn the dough over to lightly coat both sides with the flour. Roll to ¼-inch thickness. Evenly spread half of the brown sugar mixture over the dough, leaving a ½-inch perimeter around the edge. Roll the dough, long edge to long edge tightly. Repeat with the second half of the dough. Wrap each piece in plastic wrap or parchment and place in the refrigerator until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. With a sharp knife, slice each end of the rolls of dough to create a clean edge. Cut cookies into ⅓-inch thick slices and place each cookie on prepared baking sheet about 1 inch apart.
- Bake until golden, 9 to 10 minutes. Cool for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Whisk the confectioners sugar and 3 teaspoons milk in a small bowl until smooth, 30 to 60 seconds. If consistency is too thick for drizzling, add another teaspoon of milk. Place the cookies on wax paper and drizzle the glaze over the cookies. Let the glaze set, about 30 minutes. Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Cookies may be frozen before adding the glaze. Freeze tightly wrapped in an airtight container for up to 2 months. Defrost completely before glazing.