Dark Chocolate and Pomegranate Spice Cake
Recipe and photo by Tami Ganeles Weiser
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 50 minutes
This rich chocolate cake is sweet and sophisticated. It’s great for any special occasion.
1½ cups (300 grams) sugar
1 cup (125 grams) all purpose flour
½ cup plus 1 tablespoon (55 grams) cake flour
½ cup (60 grams) Dutch process cocoa powder
1¾ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon salt
4 ounces (approximately ¾ cup) dark chocolate chips (60-70%), labeled dairy-free or vegan
1 cup soy or coconut creamer, vanilla or hazelnut flavored
2 large eggs
¼ cup canola oil (if there are nut allergies) otherwise, toasted hazelnut oil
¼ cup pomegranate juice or pomegranate molasses
2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste (or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract plus 1 teaspoon cane syrup, corn syrup, or honey)
6 tablespoons pomegranate juice
3 cups (350 grams) confectioner’s sugar
½ cup dark chocolate covered pomegranate seeds
½ cup fresh pomegranate seeds
¼ cup dark chocolate curls
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9- by 13-inch baking dish with non-stick spray and line the pan with two sheets of parchment paper, one sheet laying horizontally, the other vertically with about 6 inches hanging on each side so you can lift the cake out easily when baked. Set aside.
- Sift the sugar, flours, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, and salt onto a sheet or parchment paper and set aside.
- Place the chocolate chips in a mixing bowl. Heat the creamer in the microwave until it is very hot but not boiling, about 1½ minutes. Pour the creamer over the chocolate and, without stirring, let the chocolate melt, 1 to 2 minutes.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, add the eggs, oil, pomegranate juice or molasses, and vanilla paste and mix on low speed, about 3 minutes.
- Whisk the melted chocolate and gently pour into the mixer with the motor running.
- Add the flour mixture and mix at a low speed until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Smooth the top with an offset spatula dipped quickly in cold water and push into the corners. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes up (mostly) clean, 40 to 45 minutes. (The cake will continue to cook just a bit from the retained heat for a few minutes while it is cooling).
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes, then carefully remove the cake from the pan, and continue to cool while you make the glaze.
- In a medium mixing bowl, vigorously whisk the pomegranate juice and confectioners’ sugar. Drizzle over the cake. Sprinkle with optional garnishes.
This cake keeps very well in a covered container at room temperature for up to 3 days.