Filipino Spring Rolls (Lumpia)
Recipe contributed by Victor Abud Hall; photo by Tami Ganeles Weiser
Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 40 minutes
These traditional Filipino crispy spring rolls are a welcome appetizer or side dish.
½ cup ketchup, or Thai Sweet Chili Sauce*
1 clove garlic, finely minced
¼ teaspoon cider or red wine vinegar
1 pound ground turkey
1 medium onion (275 grams), finely diced
½ cup finely diced carrots (71 grams)
½ cup finely diced celery (42 grams)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
¼ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
½ teaspoon salt, more to taste
¼ teaspoon black pepper, more to taste
1 tablespoon plus ½ cup canola oil
50 (5- by 5-inch) spring roll wrappers, Spring Home brand preferred (see Kitchen Tip)
1 large egg
1 tablespoon water
- Whisk the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Combine the ground meat, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, soy sauce, and lemon zest in a bowl.
- Using your hands, or using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix well. Add salt and pepper and mix well again.
- Test the filling: Pour 1 tablespoon oil into a small skillet set over high heat. Scoop out about 1 teaspoon of the filling mixture and fry in the hot oil until cooked through. Taste for seasoning, and adjust if needed.
- Make the egg wash: whisk together the egg and water in a small bowl.
- Working one at a time, place a spring roll wrapper on a work surface, arranging it in a diamond shape with points at the top and bottom, right and left.
- Spread 1 heaping tablespoon of the filling in the center of the wrapper. Take the bottom corner of the wrapper and fold it up to cover the filling. Fold in the left and right corners. Roll up the lumpia from the bottom, and seal by brushing the top corner with the egg and water mixture.
- Pour ½ cup oil into a heavy skillet or deep-fryer and set over moderately high heat until the oil registers 375°F.
- Add 3 or 4 lumpia at a time, making sure that you don’t crowd them, and fry for about 4 minutes, seam side down. Turn once and fry an additional 2 minutes.
- Remove and drain on paper towels or wire racks. Serve warm or hot with the dipping sauce.
- Spring Home brand spring roll wrappers, Thai sweet chili sauce, sambal oelek and sriracha are readily available at Asian markets, most well stocked health food stores and numerous stores online. Chef Victor suggests substituting water alone for the egg and water mixture to make the dish egg free.