Gluten-Free Vanilla French Toast with Macerated Berries
Recipe and photo by Tami Ganeles Weiser
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutes
This gluten-free baguette (shown with turkey bacon) makes for a heartier French toast, while the berries are an delicious, fresh stand-in for maple syrup.
1 gluten-free baguette, cut diagonally into 8 slices*
5 large eggs
½ cup soy milk
1 tablespoon vanilla paste
3½ tablespoons sugar, divided
2 teaspoons orange zest
½ teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons non-hydrogenated, dairy-free margarine
¼ cup strawberries, washed and thinly sliced
¼ cup blueberries, washed
- Arrange the baguette slices in one layer in a large rimmed baking dish.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, vanilla paste, 1½ tablespoons sugar, orange zest and cinnamon in a medium bowl to combine.
- Pour the custard over the bread. Soak for 20 minutes at room temperature, flipping once.
- To cook, heat the griddle over medium heat and melt the butter, spreading it evenly over the whole griddle.
- Transfer bread slices to the griddle. Cook until brown and crisp, turning once, about 4 minutes.
- While the French toast is cooking, combine the strawberries and blueberries in a small bowl. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of sugar and stir to combine.
- Transfer French toast to a plate and serve with fruit spooned over the top. Garnish with powdered sugar, if desired.
For a gluten-free baguette, we recommend Schar brand.