Grilled Vegetable Sandwiches with Gruyère and Caper Mayonnaise
Recipe and photo by Tami Ganeles Weiser
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes
Not just for vegetarians, this hearty sandwich is packed with rich flavors that will satisfy everyone. You can add your favorite grilled seasonal vegetables. We love zucchini, yellow squash, sweet onions and fennel.
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 teaspoons whole-grain Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon capers, chopped
2 tri-colored sweet peppers or bell peppers, halved
1 large eggplant, sliced lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 French baguette, cut into four 4-inch sections, split in half lengthwise
2 cups gruyère cheese, thinly sliced
2 cups baby arugula
- Make the caper mayonnaise: In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise, mustard, and capers until well combined. Set aside.
- Heat a charcoal grill, or set a gas grill to medium-high. Arrange the peppers and eggplant on a rimmed baking sheet. Brush with the olive oil and season with the salt and pepper. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Grill the vegetables until lightly charred and the eggplant is very soft, and the peppers are crisp-tender, flipping once.
- During the last minute of grilling, grill the baguette pieces, cut-sides down, just to warm through, 30 seconds. Turn the bottom halves over and sprinkle with cheese. Continue grilling until the cheese melts, 30 seconds. Remove from grill.
- Assemble the sandwiches: Lay vegetables over the baguette bottoms with melted cheese. Top with a handful of arugula. Smear the remaining baguettes with a spoonful of caper mayonnaise and top the sandwich.