Honey Tangerine Poppy Seed Bundt Cake
Recipe and photo by Tami Ganeles Weiser
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes
For those who prefer a not-too-sweet dessert, this is the cake for you. The honey and the citrus add a subtle sweetness, making this a perfect light dessert after a brunch or a holiday meal.
3 cups (362 grams) all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
5 large eggs
1 cup (198 grams)granulated sugar
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
½ cup tangerine, clementine, or orange juice
½ cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
Zest of 2 tangerines
⅓ (48 grams) cup poppy seeds
1¾ cups (199 grams) confectioner’s sugar
¼ cup clementine, mandarin, or orange juice
To make the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 325°F convection or 350°F in a conventional oven. Prepare a nonstick fluted tube pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, olive oil, juice, honey, vanilla, and zest until well combined. Gradually fold in the dry ingredients in 3 batches. Fold in the poppy seeds without overmixing.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until the top is domed and golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes before inverting on a wire rack. Cool completely before glazing the cake. This cake may also be served with confectioners sugar dusted over the top.
To make the glaze:
- In a small bowl whisk the confectioners’ sugar and juice until smooth.
- Drizzle evenly over the cake.
The cake will keep for up to 4 days in an airtight container or may be frozen unglazed for up to 2 months.