Kosher/Soul’s Mac and Cheese Noodle Kugel
Recipe contributed by Michael Twitty; photo by Tami Ganeles Weiser
Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes
Editor’s Note: This delicious dish, designed by the effervescent and brilliant Michael Twitty for The Weiser Kitchen, is an unusual combo of sweet and savory flavors and crisp and creamy textures. It reaches into the history of two cultures that may seem at first blush to be far apart, but one taste of this dish and you will know three things: that they that share so very much, that they need to embrace each other more, and that they both have so very much to offer one another. Together, it’s a modern life lesson experienced on a plate. Try this with a frittata, a pot of long-simmered greens, or a bean-based salad and a tall glass of chilled sweet iced tea.–Tami Weiser
Spice and Sugar Mixture:
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
Macaroni and Cheese Kugel:
2 sticks (1 cup/227 grams/8 ounces/16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
8 ounces cream cheese
1 cup whole milk
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
2 cups sour cream
1 pound cooked elbow macaroni
½ cup golden raisins or dried cranberries
8 ounces (2 cups) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
8 ounces (2 cups) mild Cheddar cheese, cut in chunks
4 ounces (1 cup) shredded mild Cheddar cheese
Paprika to taste
- Make the spice and sugar mixture: Combine the brown sugar, seasoned salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper, and blend well. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9- by 13-inch baking dish or casserole dish with nonstick vegetable oil spray and place it on a rimmed baking sheet. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, using a sturdy spoon or a handheld mixer (or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment), combine the butter and cream cheese, and mix well until completely combined and softened. Add the milk and eggs, and mix until the ingredients are fully incorporated and the mixture is smooth.
- In another large mixing bowl, combine the cooked macaroni, raisins or cranberries, sour cream, shredded sharp Cheddar and cubed mild Cheddar, and mix to combine.
- Pour the egg mixture over the pasta mixture. Add the spice mixture and gently stir to incorporate and coat the pasta with sauce. Pour or scoop into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned.
- Remove the kugel from the oven and turn the oven off. Sprinkle the shredded mild Cheddar and paprika on top, and return to the oven (which will still be warm but will cool down as the kugel finishes) for another 10 to 15 minutes, to allow the cheese to melt and create a crust on top.