Macedonia “Back to California”
Recipe and photo by Tami Ganeles Weiser
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 0 minutes
End your meal with a delicate fruit salad. Sometimes, simple is perfect.
2 medium kiwi fruit
15 to 20 red seedless grapes
½ Comice pear
1 small or ½ large banana
Juice of ½ Meyer lemon
1 cup homemade vanilla ice cream, optional
- Peel the kiwi fruit, then halve lengthwise and slice each half crosswise. Place in a medium bowl.
- Halve the grapes and add to the bowl.
- Halve the pear half, then peel and remove core. Halve each piece and slice each section. Add to the bowl.
- Peel the banana, then halve lengthwise and slice crosswise. Add to the bowl.
- Drizzle the fruit with lemon juice and toss lightly with a spoon. Let stand for about 30 minutes.
- Divide into small bowls. If serving with vanilla ice cream, use a small scoop or melon baller to carve 2 to 3 dollops and place them on the top of the fruit. Serve immediately.
- On sugar: I never use it, because I like the natural flavor of fruit. If you add some to the cut fruit, use a very light hand. Macedonia is about the fruit and its natural sweetness.
- On timing: Prepare the macedonia right before starting to eat, so that the fruit macerates for a short while, 30 minutes or so.
- On leftovers: If you have leftover macedonia, make a smoothie with it. Just place it in the blender and process until smooth.
Macedonia can be turned into a richer dessert by topping it with a small amount of ice cream (macedonia con gelato) or whipped cream (macedonia con la panna).