Maple-Bourbon Ice Cream
Recipe contributed by Stephanie Deihl; photo by Tami Ganeles Weiser
Prep Time: 5 minutes Chilling Time: 4 hours Cook Time: 10 minutes
You’ll need an ice cream maker to churn out this rich and creamy maple-bourbon ice cream recipe. Serve it on its own or as an accompaniment to Sticky Pecan Pie, Bananas Foster or scooped over toasted banana bread. For best flavor and texture, refrigerate the base for at least 4 (and up to 12) hours before transferring to the ice cream maker. This farm fresh recipe was created for The Weiser Kitchen by Chef Stephanie Deihl.
1½ cups half and half
8 egg yolks
½ cup Grade B maple syrup
¼ cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
2 cups heavy cream
⅛ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1½ tablespoons Bourbon
- Heat the half and half in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat just until it starts to boil, and then turn off the stove.
- Whisk the eggs, syrup, and sugar in a medium-sized bowl. Slowly whisk the hot half and half into the egg mixture and return the liquid to the saucepan. Return the pan to medium heat and stir constantly with a rubber spatula or whisk, until bubbles appear around the edges of the pan and the liquid coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cream, salt, vanilla, and Bourbon. Refrigerate the ice cream base for 4 to 12 hours.
- Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. The ice cream may be frozen in a tightly-lidded container for up to 1 week.
- Try this recipe along side our Sticky Pecan Pie.