Matcha Green Tea Ice Cream
Recipe and photo by Tami Ganeles Weiser
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 5 minutes
Simply put, if you like green tea, you will flip for this ice cream. Allow time for the ice cream to chill and cool.
1 quart whole milk
1 cup (8 fluid ounces) heavy cream
1½ cups granulated sugar, divided
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon finely ground matcha green tea powder
10 large egg yolks
- Prepare an ice bath by filling a large bowl with ice and setting a medium-sized bowl into it. Set a fine-mesh sieve over the smaller bowl and set aside.
- Combine the milk, cream, 1¼ cups of the sugar sugar, and the matcha powder in a large saucepan and bring to a near boil over medium heat. Do not let it boil over or scald.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks and remaining ¼ cup sugar until light in color. Slowly whisk one-third of the hot milk into the eggs, taking care not to cook the eggs.
- Pour the egg mixture back into the milk-cream mixture, whisking constantly, until it coats the back of a spoon.
- Holding the strainer firmly over the prepared bowl ice bath, pour the mixture through the strainer into the top bowl and stir until cool.
- Transfer to an ice cream maker and proceed according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Matcha tea comes in powder form and is available at well-stocked supermarkets, health food stores and online.