Morning Sweet Veggie Muffins
Recipe adapted by Tami Ganeles Weiser (with help from Rachel Paul)
Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes
A muffin that’s loaded with veggies, fruit, and whole grains—could there be a better, more delicious way to start the day? These are inspired by , “Morning Glory Muffins,” from , King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking, a terrific, all-around book.
¾ cup (114 grams) King Arthur White Whole Wheat flour
½ cup (69 grams) cake flour
½ cup (47 grams ) old-fashioned oats
½ cup (104 grams) dark brown sugar, lightly packed
½ cup (72 grams) coconut or palm sugar
2 teaspoons (9 grams) baking powder
1 teaspoon (6 grams) baking soda
2 teaspoons (6 grams) ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon grated nutmeg
⅛ teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
⅓ cup avocado oil
⅓ cup coconut oil
1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
1 tablespoon molasses
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
¼ cup carrot juice
2 cups peeled, grated carrots (4 to 6 carrots)
½ cup grated zucchini (about 1 medium)
½ cup shredded sweetened coconut, divided
⅓ cup frozen corn kernels, defrosted, or fresh corn off the cob
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin, line it with paper liners and spray the insides of the liners very well with nonstick vegetable oil spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, oat, sugars, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, oils, vanilla paste, molasses, applesauce, and carrot juice until combined.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture, and mix just until evenly moistened. Stir in the carrots, zucchini, call but tablespoons of the coconut and the corn. The batter will be a bit lumpy and a tad thin and that is just fine! Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tin, adding about ½ cup batter to each cup. Sprinkle the remaining coconut on top of muffins.
- Bake for 28 to 30 minutes, until a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the center of one of the inner muffins comes out clean. Remove from the oven, let cool for 5 minutes in the pan on a rack, then turn out of the pans to finish cooling.
- Wrap any leftovers tightly and store at room temperature for one day..
- This recipe was heavily adapted from the “Morning Glory Muffins” recipe found on p. 35 of King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking.