Mushrooms à la Russe
Recipe and photo by Tami Ganeles Weiser
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutes
This is a hearty vegetable dish that is much like a stroganoff, but with meaty mushrooms instead of the beef.
1 tablespoon plus ½ teaspoon salt, divided
1 bag (12 ounces) egg noodles
1½ pounds mixed mushrooms (any assortment of white, cremini, shiitake, oyster, etc.)
2 tablespoons butter, divided
½ onion, minced (approximately ½ cup)
½ cup sour cream
¼ cup milk
1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh dill leaves
1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh parsley leaves
1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh chives
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 fresh dill sprigs, for garnish
- Fill a large pot with water, add 1 tablespoon salt, set over high heat, and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, rinse the mushrooms lightly, stem the shiitakes, and cut all the mushrooms into thick slices.
- Set a dry skillet over high heat. Add the mushrooms and stir gently until they exude their liquid. This will take a few minutes. Once most of the liquid has evaporated, stir in 1 tablespoon of the butter and the onions. Lower the heat and cook, stirring and shaking the pan, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the onions have softened. Set aside.
- Once the pasta water is boiling, add the noodles, and stir. Cook according to the package directions, until the noodles are soft to the bite. Drain in a colander and return to the pot. Toss the hot noodles with the remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Set aside and keep warm.
- Set the mushroom pan over medium heat. Add the sour cream and milk, and stir to coat the mushrooms, but do not let the mixture boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the dill, parsley and chives. Season with the salt and pepper.
- To serve, divide the noodles between 4 serving bowls. Spoon ¼ of the mushroom mixture over each. Garnish each with a sprig of dill.