Recipe and photo contributed by Kathy Hester, HealthySlowCooking.com
Prep Time: 1 hour Cook Time: 3 minutes
Gluten-free noodles that are also egg-free are almost impossible to find in a regular grocery. Luckily, they aren’t difficult to make.
9 tablespoons warm water
3 tablespoons ground flaxseed
1⅓ cups (174 grams) RolandⓇ Quinoa Flour (plus extra for rolling noodles out)
- Mix the water and flaxseed in a medium bowl and let stand until it thickens up, about 5 minutes. Mix in the quinoa flour, at first with a spoon and then digging in with your hands when the mixture is too thick to stir. If the mixture is too dry and crumbly and does not easily form a ball, add extra water 1 tablespoon at a time, until it holds together but is not sticky. If you find that the mixture is too sticky, add extra quinoa flour 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Once the dough is the perfect consistency, let the dough rest for 20 minutes. This will make it much easier to roll out.
- Spread a thin layer of quinoa flour on a large cutting board. Cut the dough ball into 2 pieces. Roll one piece out with a rolling pin. When seems moist and sticks to the rolling pin, lightly dust the board and turn the dough over. Continue to roll and turn until the dough is as thin as you want your noodles. (Remember they will plump up as they cook.) Dust the top of the dough lightly with flour and spread it out with your palm. Using a chef’s knife, cut the dough’s rough edges off and cut out noodles into 4 by 1-inch pieces. Set noodles aside on another cutting board. Note that if they are floured well, they will not stick together.
- Take the dough trimmings and knead into the second piece of dough. Repeat rolling process until all the dough has been cut into noodles.
- To cook the noodles, bring a large soup pot half full of water to boil. Add the noodles. Return to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. Keep an eye on the water, as flax noodle water will boil faster than wheat noodle water. Cook the noodles for 3 minutes, then drain in a colander. If they stick together, rinse with warm water and drain again.