Quinoa Salad with Asparagus and Egg Mimosa
Recipe and photo contributed by Lynda Balslev
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 35 minutes
A nutritious, satisfying kosher for Passover salad full of the flavors of spring!
1½ cups red quinoa, rinsed (see Kitchen Tip)
3 cups water
2 teaspoons salt, divided
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
2 tablespoons finely chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
½ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest, plus extra for garnish
1 pound asparagus, woody ends trimmed
1 large hard-boiled egg, room temperature (see Kitchen Tip)
Sea salt flakes, for garnish
- Heat the oven to 425°F.
- Combine the quinoa, water, and 1 teaspoon salt in a medium-sized saucepan. Bring to a boil; then reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until the quinoa grains are tender and release their white germ.
- Drain and transfer to a bowl; cool slightly. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, the mint, parsley, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, ½ teaspoon lemon zest, and ½ teaspoon salt. Gently stir to combine.
- While the quinoa is cooking, roast the asparagus: Arrange the asparagus in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and ½ teaspoon salt. With tongs, turn to coat. Roast in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes, until crisp-tender. Remove from the oven and drizzle with 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Spoon the quinoa onto a serving plate. Place the asparagus on top of the quinoa. Place the egg into a sieve with medium-sized holes and hold it over the asparagus while you press the egg through the sieve onto the salad. Sprinkle with sea salt flakes and extra lemon zest. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- For hard-cooked eggs with perfectly yellow yolks ( no gray tinge), place the eggs into a saucepan and add enough to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil, cover and remove from the heat. Set a timer for 13 minutes for large. While the eggs are cooking, prepare a bowl of ice water. When the timer goes off, transfer the eggs to the ice water with a slotted spoon and let cool for 1 or 2 minutes. Then peel and use as you wish.
- Rinse the quinoa by placing in a fine mesh strainer and running under cold water, mixing well, for at least 2 minutes.