Roasted Beet, Roasted Celery Root, Grapes, Fresh Fig, and Arugula Salad
Recipe and photo by Tami Ganeles Weiser
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes
A 21st-century vegetarian cobb salad, this dish is a hearty, healthy option that is sure to please everyone at the table.
6 large beets (about 3 pounds), washed, peeled, cut into 1-inch dice
½ pound celery root, washed, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
8 cups kale, ribs removed, coarsely chopped
12 large hard boiled eggs, white and yellows separated and finely chopped
4 Hass avocados, peeled and cut into 1-inch dice (optional)
8 cups romaine lettuce hearts or iceberg lettuce, cut into 1-inch dice
4 cups arugula
1 pound extra firm tofu, cut into ½-inch dice (or 2 [8-ounce] boxes of pre-cut), drained
½ pound seedless green and/or purple grapes, halved
½ pound (about 8) fresh figs, cut into quarters
½ pound sheep or goat’s blue cheese (any stinky cheese works well), cut into ½-inch dice
Agave Poppy Lemon Dressing:
¼ cup fig vinegar (we use O&Co)
¼ cup agave nectar
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon kosher salt or smoked salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup toasted poppy seeds
Prepare the salad:
- Preheat the oven to 385°F. Line two rimmed baking sheets with aluminum foil. Spray with non stick spray.
- Spread the beets in one layer on one baking sheet. Spread the celery root in one layer on the other baking sheet. Drizzle each with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt. Stir to coat.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then stir the vegetables. Continue baking until the vegetables are soft and the edges have browned on the celery root, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a sauté pan until shimmering. Sauté the kale until leaves wilt and brighten in color, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Arrange the remaining ingredients, the warm roasted vegetables and the kale in rows or in a spiral pattern on 12 small plates for appetizers or 8 large dinner plates.
Make the dressing:
- In a medium bowl, whisk the vinegar, agave, lemon juice and zest, salt and pepper. Add the oil in a steady stream, whisking constantly to emulsify (If you omit the xanthan gum it will quickly separate). Whisk the poppy seeds into the dressing.
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons of dressing over each salad. Serve immediately.