Salmon Za’atar Skewers
From Living a Real Life with Real Food (Skyhorse Publishing) by Beth Warren, MS, RD, CDN; photo by Meir Pliskin
Prep Time: 25 minutes Marinating Time: 4 hours Cook Time: 20 minutes
Everyone loves food on skewers, and they are great for the grill or the broiler. When you use wooden skewers, be sure to soak them in water for 20 to 30 minutes prior to cooking, so they don’t burn.
¼ cup za’atar spice
⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 pounds wild salmon, skinless, cubed
4 green bell peppers, seeded and cubed
4 red bell peppers, seeded and cubed
3 onions, peeled, cored, and cubed
- In small bowl combine zaatar spice, juice of 3 limes and oil as dressing and stir to combine
- Take 1 skewer and slide on an onion, red pepper, green pepper, salmon cube and repeat 3 times and top with a grape tomato.
- Place completed skewers in small baking dish. Brush dressing on salmon skewers.
- Pour in remaining dressing, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Place on heated grill (or broil in oven) and cook 5 to 10 minutes on each side.
Notes from the Test Kitchen:
This recipe features the Middle Eastern herb mixture known as za’atar. It is available commercially, but it’s simple to make from scratch. If you would like to make your own, try our Za’atar Spice Mix.