Savory Pumpkin Muffins with Chicken Sausage
Recipe and photo by Tami Ganeles Weiser
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes
Perfect for breakfast or a hearty snack, these pumpkin muffins are moist and savory.
2 cups (280 grams) Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
1½ teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1½ cups (390 grams) canned pumpkin
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
½ cup olive oil
¼ cup water
1 cup (130 grams) cooked chicken or turkey sausage, diced
½ teaspoon fresh sage, finely minced (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (or 325°F convection). Line or grease a 12-muffin tray with non-stick spray or paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk the gluten free flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, mix the pumpkin, eggs, oil, and water. Add the pumpkin mixture to the dry ingredients, and mix until combined.
- Gently fold in the sausage and sage.
- Spoon about ¼ cup of the mixture into each muffin cup. Bake until the tops spring back when touched, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Turn muffins out onto a rack to cool. Serve immediately. Muffins are best enjoyed freshly baked, but they may be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Reheat in the oven and serve warm.
These pumpkin muffins are adapted from Baked Explorations: Classic American Desserts Reinvented by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito.