Recipe and photo contributed by Sarah Green
Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes
The classic fireside treat transforms into a rich, delicious pie that will leave your guests begging for seconds.
1½ boxes Schar brand gluten-free Honeygram cookies or 240 grams of your favorite graham cookie
2 tablespoons (28 grams) unsalted butter, melted
Marshmallow Topping (adapted from Chocolate and Carrots):
4 large (144 grams) egg whites
1 cup (210 grams) granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Chocolate ganache filling:
2 cups (356 grams) high-quality dark chocolate
1 cup heavy cream
⅛ teaspoon salt
To make the crust:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse cookies until finely ground.
- Transfer the crumbs to a large bowl and drizzle the melted butter over. Mix until the crumbs resemble sand. Push the crumb mixture lightly into a 9-inch tart or pie pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes; cool.
To make the topping:
- In a nonreactive heatproof bowl, whisk the egg whites and sugar until combined.
- Set over a pot of simmering water (make sure the bowl isn’t touching the water) and continue to whisk until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is hot to the touch, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and immediately transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Mix the eggs on high speed until stiff peaks begin to form. Set aside.
To make the filling:
- Place the chocolate in a large heatproof bowl.
- Heat the cream in a heavy bottomed saucepan until warm to the touch; do not let boil. Remove from heat and and pour over the chocolate. Let stand for 5 minutes, then stir to thoroughly combine.
To assemble the pie:
- Pour the filling into the baked pie shell, spreading evenly with a spatula. Let set for 1 hour.
- Top with the marshmallow creme. Lightly torch the marshmallow and serve.