Spicy Broccoli, Tomato, and Three Cheese Pockets
Recipe and photo by Tami Ganeles Weiser
Prep Time: 1 hour Cook Time: 1 hour
This healthful take on the Italian calzone is made with whole-wheat flour and chock full of vegetables. But with three kinds of cheese and lots of flavorful spices, the folks at your table will hardly know it’s good for them!
6 cups broccoli florets (about 2 heads)
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, or more as desired
1 shallot, finely chopped (about ⅓ cup)
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
⅓ cup white wine, preferably pinot grigio
1½ cups grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
⅓ cup pine nuts, toasted
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped basil leaves
2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
1¼ cups diced smoked mozzarella cheese (small cubes)
½ cup shredded pecorino, Parmesan, or Romano cheese
½ cup shredded asiago cheese
Whole-wheat flour, for rolling the dough
2 pounds prepared whole-wheat pizza dough or homemade Whole Wheat Pizza Dough, at room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Arrange the broccoli on one of the prepared baking sheets, spreading it out in as close to a single layer as possible. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon of the salt and the red pepper flakes, and toss to coat the broccoli. Roast in the oven for 18 to 20 minutes, or until the edges are browned. Transfer to a large mixing bowl to cool. Reduce the oven temperatue to 350°F.
- While the broccoli is roasting, prepare the filling. Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a medium skillet over high heat, until it shimmers. Add the shallots and stir, reducing the heat to medium and cooking for 3 to 4 minutes until soft and lightly browned. Add the garlic and stir for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add the wine and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until the liquid is reduced in volume by two-thirds. Add the tomatoes and stir well. Reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for about 4 minutes, until tthe tomatoes soften. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Once the tomato mixture has cooled, add it to the bowl with the broccoli. Add the toasted pine nuts, remaining salt, pepper, basil, and oregano. Mix to combine. In a separate bowl, combine all three cheeses and set aside.
- Dust a work surface with whole-wheat flour. Place the pizza dough on it and divide it into 8 equal pieces. Roll one piece into a flat circle or oval about ¾-inch thick. Using a slotted spoon or measuring cup, place about ¼ cup of broccoli filling onto the dough. (Leave any liquid from the filling on the bottom of the bowl!) Fold the dough in half over the broccoli to form a large semicircle. Pinch the dough together to seal tightly. You can use a fork to press or crimp the edges.
- Place the filled pocket on the prepared baking sheet, and repeat the process until all 8 pockets have been stuffed. Space the pockets evenly on the prepared baking sheet and brush them lightly with the remaining olive oil.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown. Serve immediately.
The pockets can be frozen before baking. Preheat oven to 350°F and bake the pockets in the frozen state for 30 to 35 minutes, or until crusty and brown.