Strawberry Rhubarb Basil Martini
Recipe contributed by Stephanie Deihl; photo by Tami Ganeles Weiser
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes
Tart and powerful, this is a memorable and fun martini.
½ cup sugar
¼ cup water
1 cup strawberries, chopped into ½-inch pieces
1 cup rhubarb, chopped into ½-inch pieces
½ cup basil, chopped
3 ounces vodka
1 cup of ice cubes, approximately 6 cubes
To make the syrup:
- Combine the sugar and water in a 1-quart saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the strawberries, rhubarb, and basil and simmer until the rhubarb softens, about 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and steep for 15 minutes.
- Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer, reserving the liquid. The syrup may be held in a tightly lidded container for up to 1 week.
To make the martini:
- Place two shots of vodka, 2 tablespoons syrup and six ice cubes in a cocktail shaker. Shake vigorously 10 to 15 times.
- Strain into a chilled martini glass.
- Garnish with a basil leaf and a strawberry, if desired.