Swiss Chard Crustless Quiche
Recipe by Tami Ganeles Weiser; photo by Sarah Green
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
Earthy and cheesy, this crustless quiche is a great for a gluten-free brunch or, with a simple side dish, for a light dinner.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon unsalted butter
2 scallions, whites and greens parts cut into ½-inch pieces
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ medium onion, thinly sliced
¾ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
2 bunches (about 3 cups) Swiss chard, leaves shredded and stalks roughly chopped into 1 inch pieces
9 large eggs
¾ cup whole milk
½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
¼ cup shredded manchego cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray the ramekins or tart pan with non-stick spray.
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil and butter until the butter has melted and is foaming. Add the scallions, garlic, and onion and stir gently. Lower the heat to a medium-low and cook until light brown and caramelized, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the paprika, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the Swiss chard, in batches, stirring carefully so the mixture stays in the pan and wilts before adding next batch. Remove from heat and cool while you prepare the egg mixture.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the eggs and milk and whisk to combine. Add the Swiss chard and mix well. Add the cheese and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake until filling is set and golden, about 20 minutes for ramekins or 35 minutes for tart.
This quiche yields 6 (4½- to 5-inch) ramekins or one 9-inch tart.