Tamarind Rum Fizz
Recipe and photo by Tami Ganeles Weiser
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 5 minutes
Tamarind is a common ingredient used in cuisines around the world from Mexico to India. It is a very popular flavoring, giving a distinctly sweet and sour flavor. This drink is a refreshing and tasty start to a meal.
Tamarind Simple Syrup
1 cup (198 grams) granulated sugar
1 cup water
2 tablespoons tamarind paste
For the Drink
2½ ounces tamarind simple syrup
2½ ounces dark rum
Make the simple syrup:
- Bring the water and sugar to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat, whisking to dissolve the sugar.
- Add the tamarind and whisk to fully incorporate.
- Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Syrup may be made up to 1 week in advance. Cover and refrigerate until use.
Make the drink:
- In a mixing glass, combine the cooled syrup and rum and stir until combined.
- Divide the cocktail between 2 rocks glasses filled with crushed ice.
- Top off each drink with club soda. Serve immediately.