Turkey BBQ Black Eyed Pea Burger
Recipe and photo by Tami Ganeles Weiser
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 22 minutes
These hearty and robust turkey burgers will satisfy even your hungriest eaters.
1 teaspoon canola oil
¼ cup chopped onions
1⅓ pounds ground turkey, 93% lean ground thigh meat
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Mustard BBQ Black-Eyed Peas
1 cup black-eyed peas, cooked or canned, drained
½ cup Mustard BBQ Sauce, or prepared barbecue sauce of your choice
½ cup coleslaw
4 crusty rolls or gluten-free buns, toasted (see Kitchen Tip)
- In a small sauté pan set over medium heat, heat the canola oil and chopped onions and cook for about 10 minutes, until softened and slightly caramelized. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey, cooled cooked onions, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper. Mix until just combined without overmixing.
- Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper. With wet hands, shape 4 patties, about 1-inch thick.
- Prepare an outdoor grill for direct cooking over medium heat, or heat a grill pan.
- Grill the burgers 5 to 6 minutes per side, turning once midway through the cooking time, until cooked through.
- While the burgers are cooking, heat the black eyed peas and barbecue sauce in a small saucepan set over medium heat until warmed through.
- Just before burgers are finished cooking, split the rolls and toast them on the grill.
- To serve, place the burgers on the bottom halves of the rolls. Top with BBQ black-eyed peas and coleslaw. Serve immediately.
- For gluten-free buns, we recommend Udi’s Classic Hamburger Buns.