Vegan Chocolate Mini Cupcakes with Chocolate Peppermint Ganache Glaze
Recipe and photo by Tami Ganeles Weiser
mini cupcakes (or 15 regular)
Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes
Chocolate with peppermint is the coziest flavor combination for the winter months. Here, vegan cupcakes get a minty blast of chocolate goodness, perfect for any holiday gathering.
1 cup (100 grams) all-purpose flour mix (for a gluten-free version, we prefer Better Batter)
½ cup (43 grams) Dutch process cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
¾ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup vanilla soy creamer, or vanilla soy milk
1½ teaspoons apple cider vinegar
¾ cup (149 grams) granulated sugar
½ cup (113 grams) non-hydrogenated, non-dairy margarine (we used Earth Balance Shortening Sticks)
1½ teaspoons vanilla bean paste
½ teaspoon espresso powder
2 tablespoons (16 grams) applesauce
⅓ cup (2 ounces) vegan mini chocolate chips (we used Enjoy Life Vegan Chips)
Chocolate peppermint ganache glaze:
6 ounces (170 grams) vegan mini chocolate chips
½ cup soy creamer, vanilla flavored
½ teaspoon peppermint extract (optional)
¼ cup roughly crushed red and white peppermint candies (about 10)
To make the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350°F or 325°F for convection. Grease mini-muffin tins with nonstick cooking spray.
- Over a sheet of parchment paper or bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Combine the soy milk and vinegar in a small bowl.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix the sugar, non-dairy shortening, vanilla paste, and espresso powder until light and fluffy.
- Add the applesauce and half of the soy milk mixture to the shortening and sugar, and mix to combine. Add half of the flour mixture and mix until just incorporated.
- Add the remaining soy mixture and then the flour mixture mixing until fully incorporated after each addition. Remove the bowl from the mixer and fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin cups and bake until a toothpick comes out clean, 10 to 12 minutes. As soon as the cupcakes are cool enough to touch, remove them from the tin and cool completely on wire racks placed over layers of parchment paper. Repeat until all batter is used.
To make the ganache glaze:
- Place 4 ounces chocolate chips in a glass heatproof bowl.
- Heat the soy creamer in a saucepan over medium heat until beginning to simmer.
- Slowly pour the creamer over the chocolate chips, whisking to blend. Add the remaining 2 ounces chocolate chips and whisk gently until combined and chocolate has melted. Stir in the peppermint extract.
- Dip each cupcake slowly into the ganache to coat the top. Place the cupcake on the wire rack. Sprinkle immediately with crushed candies and let stand until set, about 15 minutes. Serve immediately or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
The unglazed cupcakes may be frozen for up to 2 months. Allow them to completely defrost before decorating.