Vegetarian Egg Drop Soup with Tofu and Spinach
Recipe and photo by Tami Ganeles Weiser
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes
This simple classic is gussied up with fresh spinach, mushrooms, and tofu, making this protein-packed and kid-friendly soup a one-bowl vegetarian meal.
9 cups low-sodium vegetable stock, divided
3 cups sliced shiitake mushrooms
2 teaspoons kosher salt
⅛ teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
1 (14-ounce) box firm tofu, drained, rinsed, cubed or cut into 1-inch by ½-inch strips
6 cups baby spinach, stems removed, roughly cut into ½-inch strips
¼ cup cornstarch
7 large egg whites, or 4 large eggs, scrambled
2 scallions, chopped into ¼-inch pieces
- Bring 2 quarts stock to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add the mushrooms, salt, and pepper and cook over medium heat until the mushrooms are completely cooked, shrunken, and soggy, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tofu and spinach and cook for until the spinach is completely wilted, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Whisk 1 cup of stock and the cornstarch in a small bowl, then drizzle into the soup, whisking constantly.
- Slowly stir the soup in a circle, to create a whirlpool, and carefully drizzle in the eggs, stirring constantly. They will turn into shreds.
- Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Serve hot, garnished with scallions.